Home' Christchurch Mail : August 8th 2013 Contents 9
CHRISTCHURCH MAIL, AUGUST 8, 2013
Green light for New World
By ANNA PRICE
FOODSTUFFS South Island s
long-awaited Redcliffs New
World supermarket has taken
a large step forward, with a
cost-share deal being struck
with the city council for traffic
lights at the hazardous Main
Rd/Augusta St corner.
The absence of traffic lights
was a sticking point for the
food giant s rebuild plans at
its former site, as well as for
the community and council.
Foodstuffs retail develop-
ment general manager Roger
Davidson was upbeat this
week about the development,
which removes a big road
block to the revival of its store
plans and local revitalisation.
Traffic signals have been
included in the city council s
three year plan.
The $300,000 cost will be
shared by both parties.
We are just waiting for
them to confirm the exact tim-
ing within the three year plan,
then we can establish our con-
struction timeframe, Mr
We re pleased with the
progress we ve made.
We re looking forward to
constructing a supermarket
that will serve the
The Redcliffs New World
would incorporate many
features of the new St
Martin s store, including its
fresh foods and coffee to go.
The lights will go in during
the council s infrastructure
works in the area, which
include roading, underground
lines and cycleways.
Now that Foodstuffs had
clarity on the timing of those
works, it would finalise a
timeframe for the rebuild.
Last year, Foodstuffs said it
would not rebuild its New
World supermarket on site
without traffic signals.
The Hagley Ferrymead
Community Board took up the
case, asking SCIRT to con-
sider signals as part of the
Main Rd infrastructure
repairs in Redcliffs.
Cr Tim Carter s proposal,
backed by board chairman
Bob Todd, was passed unani-
mously. Funding options were
among the issues explored.
I m extremely pleased that
they have now come to what
appears to be a very satisfac-
tory solution, Mr Todd said.
Vandals strike quake memorial
Christchurch's 185 empty chairs earthquake
memorial has been vandalised. The white chairs
represent those who died in the February 2011
earthquake. About 20 chairs had been stolen
since the memorial was first set up on Oxford Tce,
with each one being replaced by those caring for
the memorial. The latest theft, of a wheelchair
donated by Cave Creek survivor Stephen Hansen,
was a particularly tough blow. Organisers were
finding it hard to find a replacement. Vandals had
slashed and damaged other chairs.
Ellerslie Flower Show all on
Despite fears it may lose money again, the
Ellerslie International Flower Show is likely to go
ahead this year. Last year's event ran at a
$325,000 loss and attendance was only 45 per
cent of what organisers hoped for. This year's
show could run $250,000 over budget. The council
purchased the show in 2007 for $3 million. The
council community, recreation and culture
committee voted on Tuesday to go ahead with the
show, but said it wanted a review of the show and
its management next year.
Sumner facilities to be replaced
Residents in Sumner now have hope the
demolished library, community centre and
museum could be replaced. A council working party
investigated the situation and decided a combined
facility on Wakefield Ave would be the best option
for the area. However an insurance shortfall would
leave ratepayers footing a $10 million rebuild bill.
The facilities had only been insured for $1.4
million. While the suggestion was to work with the
Sumner community to come up with the money,
the council could vote to allocate the $10m from
the Betterment and Improvement Fund.
Mansion may get reprieve
The historic Maclean's Mansion on Manchester St
could yet be saved. Proposals have gone before
the owners, Andrew and Scott Murray. The timber
mansion was severely damaged in the February
2011 earthquake and the Murrays have said they
could not foot the repair bill. One proposal includes
turning the mansion into a music precinct, which
would be complimentary to the academy already
on site. It is hoped a funding partnership and
grants could save the building.
Stadium, pool, long way off
The latest schedule for the central city blueprint
projects suggests the new stadium may not be
ready for the 2017 British and Irish Lions Tour as
originally hoped. The project could be started as
early as 2015, but will not be finished until late
CERA chief executive Roger Sutton said the time
line was indicative, and more detail was expected
before September 1. He did not want to
overpromise. The schedule also showed the
convention centre construction would not start
until late next year and the Metro sports facility
would be under way by early 2015, taking two
years to build.
Heritage incentives sought
More than $62,000 in heritage incentive grants
are sought for group 2 and group 3 heritage
buildings in New Regent St and for Opawa's
Springbank. Council's culture committee has
recommended up to $33,864 for conservation and
maintenance of four New Regent St buildings at
numbers 10, 12, 13 and 24. Other grants of up to
$18,211 for conservation and maintenance of 28
New Regent, and up to $7068 for similar works at
numbers 27-29 are also backed. Up to $3478 for
conservation and maintenance for Springbank,
290 Riverlaw Tce is also sought.
Buildings get quake instructions
The Sign of the Takahe in Hackthorne Rd should be
repaired to 67 per cent of the New Building
Standard, the council's culture committee
believes. More information including project rent
and repair techniques will be included in a report
to the council on August 29. The report will also
include measures to ensure the building was
protected against damage from future
earthquakes. The Governors Bay community hall,
toilets and pottery shed in Cresswell Ave should be
demolished, the committee says. The building took
major quake damage and insurers had agreed it
was a total economic loss.
Links Archive August 1st 2013 August 15th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page